Thursday, January 30, 2014

Week 3 on Paleo

I think I jinxed myself by thinking that this Paleo Challenge was going so well.  Week 3 was rough for me.  I lacked a lot of motivation this week, had a three day trip out of town, and the cold weather got the best of my mood most days.


Sad, but true.

I've been taking Vitamin D and B12 every day, drinking tons of water, getting more sleep than usual, and I still can't shake the bad moods and grogginess.  Anyone else have issues in the cold weather?

I worked Monday-Thursday then was out of town all of Friday-Sunday, so every day had something going on.  I managed to get in a CrossFit workout on Monday and ran five miles on Saturday at the Dan Abraham Health Living Center in Rochester, MN.  That was about it on the fitness side of things.


As for diet, I tried a couple of new recipes last week, including a mustard glazed chicken thigh recipe from the book Practical Paleo (book review coming soon!).  It was delicious and super easy.  I'll probably make it again soon but with chicken breasts since that's what we have in the freezer right now.


I didn't feel like cooking last Wednesday, so we ate dinner at darts at the bar.  I ordered a bacon burger loaded with lettuce, onions, tomatoes without the bun and topped it with yellow mustard.

I was pretty disappointed with myself because while eating Paleo at restaurants is obviously - and easily - possible, I just don't like spending the money when I ask for it without so many things.  I spent $6.00 on that one burger when I could have made four burgers at home for less than HALF of the cost.  Oh well... That's the price I pay when I don't feel like cooking.

Since we were going out of town for the weekend, our meals revolved around using up whatever we had in the fridge.  That meant using up all the veggies in lots of salads and eating up all of the leftovers.

We left town by 5:00AM on Friday morning, so when we arrived at 7:00AM... Starbucks was calling my name.  I enjoyed two Caramel Soy Cappuccinos over the weekend.  I also enjoyed two alcoholic beverages while out to dinner and a gluten free pizza (with cheese) for lunch.  Shame, shame.  Lucky for me, I didn't experience any tummy issues.  That was my major concern throughout the weekend since I didn't want to feel sick and making numerous trips to the bathroom... If ya know what I mean.  I knew my diet was going to waver a little bit, but I just didn't want to suffer the repercussions.

Since starting the Paleo Challenge, there has been a couple of times that I slipped in my diet - whether on accident or intentionally - and my body really reacts to it.  It's scary to think how adapted my body was to certain foods that now clearly cause irritation!

I'm still reading Grain Brain and constantly researching Paleo recipes on Pinterest, so I'm still learning new things every day.


Once I'm finished, I'll do a book review on this book, as well!

Terry and I are finally getting serious about picking a date for our honeymoon in Mexico, so I'm anxious to get back on track this week, get back in the gym, and reward myself with a WARM vacation hopefully very soon!

Keep an eye out for a post describing the Paleo diet soon!  Since starting the challenge, I have gotten many questions, which is great!  Most of the questions I get revolve around what the diet includes, excludes and why I chose to participate in this diet challenge.  Ask me some more questions in the comment section so I can answer them in the post!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment