Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Paleo Pepperoni Pizza Casserole

Last night, I made the most delicious dinner everrrrrrrr.  I wanted to eat the entire pan for dinner but knew I had to save some for lunches at work.  Let's just say that I was super excited for my lunch break today just because of this dish.


Seriously, make this TONIGHT.  It's worth it.

I kept coming across variations of the recipe on Facebook and Pinterest through the blogs "Writing in White" and "PaleOMG".  PaleOMG has a ton of awesome Paleo recipes, FYI.  I'm a huge pizza lover so this recipe was instantly put in my mind as a must-try!

While at Trader Joes this last weekend, I found spaghetti squash for about $2.50 EACH.  Not per pound like every other grocery store in the world.  I dug for the biggest one I could find to get the most bang for my buck.  Even the guy at the cash register said, "I think you found the mother of all spaghetti squashes".  Dang right, I did!  It was the perfect size, too... Enough to fill an entire 9x13 casserole dish along with the other ingredients.

Since I was following a couple of different recipes, I thought I would share what I ended up using in my casserole.

Ingredients:

1 large spaghetti squash
1.5 lbs. of Jenni-O Italian Seasoned Ground Turkey
1.5 cups of natural marinara sauce (read the ingredients!!!!)
1/2 cup diced onions
4 eggs
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp garlic powder
Enough pepperoni to top casserole with

I started by cutting the spaghetti squash in half (read: Terry cut the squash in half because I'm accident prone in the kitchen) and baked it face down at 375 degrees for about 35 minutes.  While that was baking, I browned the ground turkey with the onions.

In a large bowl, I whisked the eggs then added the marinara sauce, seasonings, and MOST of the ground turkey and mixed it all together.  Once the spaghetti squash was finished, I forked it all out and combined it with the ingredients in the bowl into a 9x13 casserole dish.  I also bumped up the oven to 400 degrees.


Once it was all combined, I topped the casserole with the remaining ground turkey and pepperoni!


I put it back into the oven for another 35 minutes and then switched the oven to broil for the last few minutes.  I waited until the pepperoni started to look crisp.


Some of the pepperoni got a little too crisp.  Opps.  Keep an eye on it while it's broiling ;)

Make it your own recipe by adding your favorite toppings!  Peppers, mushrooms, or even cheese if you're not following Paleo.

This was seriously delicious and I hope it lasts me more than two days.  I will definitely be making this again!  If you make it, let me know what you think!

What's your favorite Paleo recipe?

Where do you go to find recipes?

No comments:

Post a Comment