Monday, February 24, 2014

Running for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

I posted on the Life After Morning Coffee Facebook Page last week that I registered for the Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon Lottery.


The Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon was my third half marathon and it is where I have ran my best half marathon time in 2:24.


The race is held in Duluth, MN and it has to be the most beautiful race course in the midwest!  It runs along the shores of Lake Superior and finishes in Canal Park.  I knew right away that I would be back for years to come!  You can read about my first experience at Grandma's HERE!


I was able to get into the lottery last year, but this year I wasn't so lucky.  However, I'm not giving up!  I have decided to team up with St. Jude Children's Research Hospital and run for charity!  If I can raise over $1,500, I will receive a race bib to run in the 2014 Garry Bjorklund Half Marathon!

The mission of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital (from their website) "is to advance cures, and means of prevention, for pediatric catastrophic diseases through research and treatment.  Consistent with the vision of our founder Danny Thomas, no child is denied treatment based on race, religion, or a family's ability to pay."

Did you know that it costs $1.8 million a day to operate St. Jude?

Did you know that 70% of the funds come from the public?

Did you know that because of donations, no family ever pays St. Jude for anything?  That includes lodging, food, and travel.

Wow.  I couldn't think of a better reason to run.

Want to see me run another half marathon?  Want to see my get another personal record?  Want to be a part of it?  Visit my fundraising page and help me reach my $1,500 donation goal.  Every penny counts.  Thank you in advance!

Any businesses want to donate?  I'll gladly sport your logo during all of my training runs here in Eau Claire and during my race up in Duluth!  Contact me for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment