Monday, October 21, 2013

Apple Crisp Recipe

With fall in full swing and the colder temps coming sooner than anticipated, I have been craving some warm treats!  I couldn't get my mind off of warm apples and cinnamon!  Apple crisp it is!

I started looking up some recipes, but wasn't overly satisfied with the ingredients I was seeing... white sugar, butter, white flour...

So, I got into the kitchen and made some swaps with the things I didn't like and hoped for the best!  And what I got was BEST!  I couldn't tell any difference between my apple crisp from others I've had.  Let's just say I was pretty dang proud of my delicious result!

I went to the store and bought a bag of apples.  Choose any apple you like.  I choose what was on sale and picked up a 3lb bag of Gala apples.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and get out your apple corer!


After coring the apples, I cut each slice in half both lengthwise (to make them a little thinner for cooking) and across, then covered the bottom of the pan with all of the wedges.


In a small bowl, I mixed 1/2 cup of Splenda (this does not mean I'm an advocate for sugar alternatives, it's just what I had in the house over white sugar... I'd really like to try this recipe using a natural sweetener like honey or maple syrup) with 1/2 tablespoon of oat flour (which I make myself by buying oats and blending them in a coffee grinder), and 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon.

Using that mix, I sprinkled it over the apples evenly before pouring 1/4 cup of water over the apples.

In another bowl (or using the same bowl to save on dishes!), I combined 1/2 cup oat flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/8 teaspoon baking soda, 1/8 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/2 cup melted butter (ugh... must find alternative!!!).  I then mixed in about 3/4 cup (give or take) of quick-cooking oats until I had a mixture that I could "clump" or "crumble" around evenly over the apples.

Put in the oven and set your timer for 45 minutes!  Enjoy warm out of the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or just by itself! YUM!


Ingredients:

4-5 apples, cored and sliced (you can peel them too, if you prefer... I didn't)
1/2 cup sugar (of choice)
1/2 tablespoon oat flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 cup water

1/2 cup oat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup melted butter
3/4 cup quick-cooking oats

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F)

Core and slice apples and place in a pan (I used my amazing Le Creuset Cast Iron dish... any 9" pie pan will do!)

Mix sugar, 1/2 tablespoon oat flour, and cinnamon in a bowl.  Sprinkle over apples.  Pour water evenly over apples.

Mix the 1/2 cup oat flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, melted butter, and quick-cooking oats into a bowl and crumble evenly over apples.

Bake for 45 minutes.  Enjoy!

Let me know if you try the recipe and tell me what you think!  Also let me know if you make any alterations to the recipe and how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment