Monday, September 23, 2013

My Running Mojo = MIA

Someone help me.  I think I've misplaced my motivation for running.  It's very frustrating.


Last night, I headed out for a long run and completed 6.5 miles.  Don't get me wrong, I felt amazing afterwards being able to complete that many miles without any training over the last couple of months.  Let's be honest... Ever since Grandma's Half Marathon, I haven't really been out much.  I've spent a lot of time trying other things like Zumba classes, rollerblading, and enjoying long walks with the pups.



To get my butt out the door last night for my long run was excruciating.  If Terry hadn't gone with me (he rode his bike alongside me), there was no way I was going out.  I loved the idea of going for a run, yet I couldn't get my shoes on and head out by myself.  If I don't have someone to push and encourage me, I just simply don't go.  How frustrating.  Does anyone else get in ruts like this?!  You'd think with my wedding around the corner, I'd be motivated like none other to work my butt off!

Maybe I shouldn't be beating myself up because it's not like I turned running in for sitting on the couch and eating doughnuts.  I've just been slowing down, taking a break from strict training plans, and focusing on good eating.  However, without running, I don't feel like I'm working my body as hard as I could be.

Since this has been going on since my last half marathon in June, I thought it was because I didn't have any upcoming races to sign up for, therefore nothing to look forward to or train for.  So, I signed up for the Biggest Loser Half Marathon on October 20th.  I'm excited because I'll be running with my bestie Abby for her first half!

This goes to show that running (and staying active and motivated in general) is hard.  Very hard.  For everyone.  I may have ran three half marathons within the last year and lost a significant amount of weight, but that doesn't change the fact that 90% of the time I would rather sit on the couch and devour an entire pineapple pizza.  By myself.


Living a healthy lifestyle isn't easy, especially in the world we live in.  There is temptation everywhere to take the quick and easy way of doing day-to-day activities.  It is extremely difficult to say no to temptation a thousand times each and every day.  I can't even drive to the gym or to work without passing several fast food restaurants.

At the end of the day, I'd rather have said no to all of those temptations and pushed myself out the door to run a long 6.5 miles (even when I'd rather do 1,000 different things), than go back to the way I felt when I was 50 pounds heavier.  I may not be at the weight I would like to be at, but this weight trumps all the emotional weight that 50 pounds brought along with it.

Remember that YOU have control over your life.  God gave you this one body to use in your life, take care of it and have pride in it.  Respect it.  Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment